As the weather turns again, here's a warming and scrumptious recipe to try. They're irresistible.
For the buns
- 170ml dairy-free milk
- 24g cane sugar
- 14g vegan butter
- 56g vegan butter, cold
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 320g gluten free flour
- 84g almond flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the filling
- 42g melted vegan butter
- 146g brown sugar
- 8g ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a baking dish with tall sides
- Warm the dairy-free milk on a medium heat until it is as warm as a bath
- Add the vegan butter (not the cold one), sugar and stir into the milk until melted
- Add the yeast and stir again. Set aside to proof for 10 minutes
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, almond flour, cane sugar, baking powder and sea salt. Add the cold vegan butter and use a fork to mix this into the dry mixture, until it is like wet sand
- Add the milk mixture to this and stir as you go and as more wet mixture is needed until it is like dough, then set aside.
- Place cling film on a flat surface, then dust with gluten-free powder. Place the dough in the centre of the surface and sprinkle a little more flour over it, then place another layer of cling film over the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a large, thin rectangle which is about 1/8th inch thick
- Next, remove the top layer of cling film and brush on the vegan butter from the filling ingredients.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and spread gently with fingers to distribute it evenly
- Roll the dough lengthwise into a cylinder
- Use a bread knife to cut the cylinder into individual rolls, then cover with cling film and a towel, and set on top of the warm oven to rise for about 30 minutes
- Remove the towel and cling film, then place the rolls in the middle of the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes and enjoy!