This perfectly-imperfect messy yoghurt breakfast bowl can be whizzed together in just a few short minutes, making it the perfect solution to those ‘5-more-minute’ mornings (there is yoghurt under there- promise!). This ideal go-to breakfast balances healthy, nutritious goodness with sweet indulgence, because healthy definitely doesn’t have to mean sacrificing that sweet tooth! For me, a colourful yoghurt bowl signals the start of summer, because now that Christmas is over that’s basically where we’re at…right?
This bowl is made up of a few tablespoons of 0% fat Greek yoghurt (try to aim for the thicker consistency yoghurts, rather than the runny ‘Greek-style’ ones). I’ve topped it with half a banana cut into coins, sliced strawberries, a handful of blueberries, homemade chocolate granola, ALL the nut butter (I use cashew), and a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds. A dash of maple syrup, agave or honey for added sweetness is also optional. This might sound like a lot, but this breakfast is quick, simple, and best of all? Customisable! No strawberries? No worries. Simply throw in whatever’s left in your fridge in as much or as little quantity as you prefer. Yoghurt is a necessity though, so keep stocked up!
I’ll provide the recipe here for this version, and also for the homemade chocolate granola.
MESSY MORNING YOGHURT BOWL
- Three/four tablespoons of 0% fat Greek yoghurt
- Half a banana, cut into coins
- Handful of strawberries, sliced
- Handful of blueberries
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Cashew butter (a few dollops!)
- Homemade chocolate granola
- Drizzle of maple syrup, agave or honey
- Other options include: flaxseed, chia seeds, dried fruit, cacao nibs, seeds
- Scoop the Greek yoghurt into a bowl. Add the toppings and enjoy!
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE GRANOLA
- 200g whole rolled oats
- 60g mixed nuts, I use hazelnuts and almonds (optional- pecans, walnuts, pistachios)
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- 30g coconut flakes
- 1-2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- Coconut oil, melted (roughly 70ml)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Maple syrup (roughly 60ml- adjust according to preferred sweetness)
- Optional- dark chocolate chips
- Add a splash of water if necessary
- Preheat the oven to 150º/ 300ºF/ gas mark 2. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, starting with the dry ingredients and adding the coconut oil and maple syrup last. Stir well.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the baking tray and bake for roughly 20 minutes (or until golden brown). Stir every few minutes as it cooks, to ensure even baking.
- Let the granola cool completely and store in an air-tight container for a few weeks.
- Enjoy with your messy morning yoghurt bowl!
Credit for entry: Ella Molloy