For all of us who are vegan and gluten-free but salivate at the thought of a glazed doughnut, we've got the answer: cue these vegan, gluten-free doughnuts! They're also a lot less fatty than a deep-fried doughnut. You can add any kind of glazing, but we've opted for a chocolate one in this recipe!
- 300g gluten free self-raising flour
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 250ml milk of your choice (almond works well!)
- 265g dark chocolate chips
- 400ml coconut cream
For the doughnuts
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- Coat a 12-piece doughnut tray with some coconut oil and set to one side.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until the mixture becomes a dough-like consistency.
- Spoon the mixture across the doughnut tray. With slightly wet hands, push the mixture into the doughnut cavities. Be careful not to overfill them!
- Bake for 12-17 minutes and do the skewer test to make sure they're cooked properly.
- To get a crispy top to your doughnuts, heat up some coconut oil in a frying pan and toss them in it once hot for about 45 secs until golden.
- transfer to a cooling rack to allow them to cool completely!
For the chocolate frosting
Add the chocolate chips to a large mixing bowl.
Heat the coconut cream over a medium heat until warm.
Pour the warm coconut cream over the chocolate chips. Mix slowly so the chocolate melts into it.
- Once the doughnuts have cooled completely, dip them in the chocolate frosting and put in the fridge to set.