Starting to run out of meal ideas for Veganuary? Try this pulled jackfruit recipe. This vegan version of pulled pork will have you back on track in no time. It's filling and delicious!
- 2 cans (400g each) young jackfruit in water, drained
- 2 tbsp peanut or coconut oil
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 small shallots, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely diced
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 60ml veggie stock
- 3-4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-2tbsp hoisin sauce
- Cut the firm ends off each jackfruit then set aside.
- Heat up the oil on a medium heat. Fry the shallots until softened, then add the garlic and ginger. Keep frying until the ingredients is soft and fragrant.
- Add the spice mix, then fry off for a minute, stirring continuously.
- Toss in the jackfruit and stock and leave to stew on a low heat.
- Once softened, break up the jackfruit pieces with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the jackfruit in the pan. Simmer mixture for 10-15 minutes until any excess liquid is cooked off.
- Once cooled, leave in the fridge overnight to intensify the flavour.
- Before serving, spread the jackfruit pieces on a lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes until slightly caramelised.
- Serve on asian slaw or veggies!