In need of a healthy filling but vegan lunch option? (or dinner for that matter!) Here's a recipe for creamy stuffed aubergines. Serve with a tomato and red onion salad, then you're good to go!
- 115g brown basmati rice
- 6 medium aubergines
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 115g celery, chopped
- 225g carrot, grated
- 30g fresh parsley, chopped
- 30g fresh basil, chopped
- 115g pine nuts, toasted
- 55g ground almonds
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 280ml water
- 1 tbsp plant-based yoghurt to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C then cook the rice as per package instructions and set aside.
- Prick the aubergines and place in a baking tray with a dizzle of olive oil. Place in the oven for 15 minutes until softened.
- Allow the aubergines to cool, then cut in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh in the middle. Leave about 1/2cm flesh attached to the skin.
- Put the aubergine shells back in the baking tray and chop up the aubergine flesh.
- Saute the celery for around 10 minutes in olive oil, then add the carrot and aubergine flesh, then fry for another 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil and gently fry the celery for 10 minutes. Add the carrot and chopped aubergine and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the cooked rice, parsley, basil, pine nuts, ground almonds, vegetable stock powder and water.
- Spoon the mixture in the aubergine skins and cover the baking tray with foil.
- Place back in the oven and turn down the heat to 200°C for about 4 minutes until the mixture is soft and slightly golden.
- Serve alongside a tomato and red onion salad, with a dollop of yoghurt and a sprinkle of parsley and pine nuts. Voila!